Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Someone Great

Someone great, an amazing song that gets me every time. From the lyrics to the overall feel of the song, it is a masterpiece.

In my opinion, the mood that is set beneath the lyrics is more important than the lyrics themselves. The feeling behind the instrumentation, the way the artist uses the sound of the song to convey emotion is what makes or breaks the song for me. LCD soundsystem sets the mood perfectly. Just the overall feel of the song sets the mood so well for the lyrics, and carries that feel throughout the rest of the song. The band somehow creates a bright yet melancholy feel, the brightness of the chimes, but the slow, dragging of the synthesized bass.

I'm not gonna pretend that I know what James Murphy was thinking when he wrote the lyrics to this song, but I will say that whatever he meant, he really meant it. Nothing about this song is shallow. You can feel the emotion flowing through Murphy as he sings. That is my favorite thing about music, someone can write a song and have it be very close to their heart, and then a listener can have it just as close to their heart for entirely different reasons. Music is the one thing that everyone can love and relate to, and that's what makes me love it so much.

To tie in that last bit, I dare you to listen to this song
REALLY listen
and not feel something.

Music transcends all. If there's anything that I know with a surety, that last statement would be it. I love music and I love this song. I hope you can listen, feel, and enjoy it just as much as I do.

Cheers,
    Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment