Saturday, September 13, 2014

Bowery

    Bowery is a song by Local Natives, a band that is full of feelings. I don't think I've ever managed to listen to one of their albums all the way through without tearing up at least a little bit. Every once in a while when I listen to their album Hummingbird I end up sobbing uncontrollably.

    I think to properly understand that last statement I need to give a little bit of background. Music is what keeps me together emotionally, and in order to be emotionally stable you need to be able to feel emotions, all of them. Music helps me identify and feel my way through certain emotions so I'm able to move on to the next. Hummingbird is an album that's packed full of emotion and you can almost feel the songs rather than hear them. Last night I was listening to this very album and the song Bowery stuck out to me much more than the others for some reason.

    Bowery is an incredible song and I'm not even sure what the lyrics are supposed to mean, but it just has so much feeling and emotion packed into it that I can't help but love the song. There's something about the way the somber piano chords mix with the dynamic vocal harmonies and the lyrics that are left open for interpretation, I LOVE this song. I was planning on trying to give you my take on what the lyrics meant, but I decided to let all of you listen to it and just feel your way through it.

    This post didn't go at all as planned, but I like the way it turned out. I know I've said this like a million times but I'm going to pick the blog thing back up and post somewhat consistently. If you want me to listen to a song or album and give me your take on it feel free to either comment or tag me in a tweet and mention the fact that it's for my blog (you can see my twitter in the sidebar). I really enjoyed writing this post, it feels good to share my thoughts on a song that's close to my heart. You'll be seeing much more of me in the near future :)

Cheers!
    Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment