Thursday, October 31, 2013

Sorry It's been a while guys...

Sorry it has been a while since I've posted... I've been crazy sick and really busy with school and stuff...

I thought I would talk about a few of the things that I look for to make a good song.

A song needs to have substance, there needs to be emotion linked to the song, whether it's through lyrics or the music itself. Some songs rely heavily on lyrics and others rely heavily on the music.

Some examples of this are Jesus Christ by Brand New and First Breath After Coma by Explosions in the Sky. In the song Jesus Christ the music is fairly redundant and but the lyrics speak so much to the soul about some age old questions the singer is asking. In First Breath After Coma the feeling in the music itself is enough to send chills down your spine, they capture the beauty of what it must feel like to wake up into our beautiful world again and send that feeling out through their resonating guitar notes and dynamic percussion.

Both of these songs are amazing. I love them both and if you haven't heard them it would be a good idea to give them a listen. They really pack an emotional punch.

Although these songs are great they can't even compare to the song Blood by The Middle East. This song has the musical appeal of First Breath After Coma and the lyrical appeal of Jesus Christ. There have been many times when songs by The Middle East have brought me to tears. They have made a huge emotional impact to me and I really love their EP The Recordings of The Middle East. In fact I just bought that EP on vinyl to add to my collection.

Basically what i'm saying is, in order for a song to be good, it needs to have some REAL emotional backing. Sappy love songs written by boy bands just don't live up to my expectations.

Cheers,
    Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment