Saturday, November 1, 2014

30 Minute Boyfriend.. Casablancas Style.

Hello, it's been a while since I've posted, but I hope this post makes up for lost time.
I recently have been getting more and more into older more alternative music, and Julian Casablancas is becoming one my my favorites. Most well known for his role as the lead singer of The Strokes, he has branched off and has been releasing some of his solo work. Fear not, the retro-punk sound is still there more than ever! Casablancas released an album in 2009, and has been touring on and off since. He is actually coming to Seattle on November 13, and I'm excited to announce that I will be attending! Also, Mac Demarco is opening, so how could I resist?

The album titled Phrazes For The Young contains a mix of psychedelic funk bass guitar, driving jazz-like drums, and his strongly worded lyrics, coming all together for a catchy, feel good album. My favorite tracks on this album include 30 Minute Boyfriend, a love song with heavy use of synthesizer, which almost reminds me of bad boy in an ice cream shop singing to the innocent blonde at the counter 80's style. I guess I like that the lyrics in this song are very straight forward.
The beginning lyrics are as follows:

I think you're pretty
I think you know it
You got a boyfriend
You just forgot him that's all
For five minutes that's all
You're my best friend that's all

Overall, this song is just really catchy (as is the rest of the album) and guarantees easy listening.
Admittedly Casablancas doesn't have the best voice out there, but the combination of post-punk era punk and edgy lyrics, along with a new more "electronic" sound come together beautifully.

Namaste,

Carly


(Also I must apologize for the sloppiness of this post, I wrote it quickly but I just wanted to post something!)

No comments:

Post a Comment