Monday, November 11, 2013

Turning Into Stone

Phantogram is an electronic music making duo from upstate New York. They have some crazy good beats overlayed by some wacky, somewhat psychedelic vocals.

All of their music is worth listening to but I wanted to focus on their song Turning Into Stone in this post.

Turning into stone is a powerful song with a great beat and some meaningful lyrics and it's one of my favorites. It starts off with some saxophone like chords that lead into a powerful synth bassline followed by a groovy danceable beat. In this song Phantogram seems to find the perfect balance between vocals and instrumentals that definitely gets the message out there. There are some great guitar riffs and drum breakdowns and it's a very emotionally powerful song if you ask me.

In the lyrics the song refers to a "line" it says "it's just a line, line that i feel, that's splitting me apart" and I think we all have a "line" something that we're torn about that we feel is tearing us apart. For me the first time I heard this song the "line" meant the line between life and death. I was struggling with some serious depression at the time and I was somewhat suicidal. This song, along with a lot of other things, helped me beat that. This song helped me realize that that "line" is real for so many people and it empowered me to beat that line.

If you've never heard this song I highly recommend you give it a listen using my spotify widget on the sidebar. if you don't know what spotify is read what I wrote about it here.

If you have any questions or recommendations for me feel free to drop a comment below, and if you've enjoyed what you read here today please share my blog with friends using the share buttons below.

Cheers,

    Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment